Up in smoke: Marijuanas medicinal value outweighs societal stigma

There is a social stigma around marijuana, but that stigma is widely inaccurate and has created problems for those who need it to improve their quality of life on a day-to-day basis. 

There is a divide between people who support the legalization of marijuana and people who don’t. But there is more to the argument than what is being brought to the table during most disagreements. 

Marijuana is not only a great cash crop for Americans but also contains major medicinal qualities.  Marijuana makes people feel relaxed and calms their pain, and it can temporarily stop seizures. The stereotype of it as a recreational drug has obstructed its job of possibly saving lives and making things better for individuals.

There are two main components to marijuana: CBD and THC, which do different things. CBD, in low doses, is like a natural herb and won’t affect the user as much in what is perceived as negative. It could be compared to ibuprofen or another relaxant. It only really starts making a person feel “off” if they abuse it, but it has drastically helped people in the medical world. 

The oil has been shown to help people with diseases like Parkinson’s and Huntington’s, and has even been approved by the FDA for two forms of epilepsy and that’s just a small part of what CBD oil can do. 

THC is considered the “bad” part of marijuana, which is also a misaligned stereotype. THC has been proven to slow the growth of lung cancer, reduce the side effects of cancer treatments, and make it easier for patience to become healthy.

Most of the negativity towards medical marijuana, or even recreational marijuana, is based on an older generation who became part of the war on drugs and saw marijuana as the proverbial gateway drug.

People like to be in control, and I can understand that, but why stop other people who need some relief medically because “weed is bad?”

Xanax and hydro-codiene are prescribed to high school students and underaged kids can easily purchase a bottle of liquor. Prescribed drugs are far more dangerous than marijauna and can lead to worse consequences.

Cigarettes are legal and arguably more harmful than marijauna to both the user and bystanders. 

It’s fairly hypocritical to complain about marijauna just because of the stigma surrounding it as a catch phrase campaign when in alcohol, cigarettes, and high dosages of xanax are being sold and are socially acceptable by the older generation.

Marijuana can be beneficial to society if there are laws to help provide structure. It could also be argued that marijuana should be legal in general for adults when they turn 21 like they do with alcohol and arrest people who are driving while under the influence, like they also do with alcohol. 

We have come to a point in society where many drug users find themselves in prison for longer periods of time than rapists or violent criminals. This is a flaw from a fundamental standpoint, especially when there are legitimate benefits that can arise under medical supervision.

Marijuana is not as bad for people as many claim it to be. 

Thirty-one states have legalized marijuana from a medical standpoint and 10 states have legalized it from a recreational standpoint. That is more than half the country. 

Texas is not one of them.