Real Vikings wear pink: breast cancer awareness movement kicks off

Student Council will be selling pink Tackle for the Cure shirts to Pink Out Merril Green Stadium.
As the scent of pumpkin pie fills the air and the leaves begin to cover the ground, the colors of brown and pink instantly come to mind. Pink, a color that may initially seem odd for autumn, will fill Merrill Green Stadium on October 28 in support of breast cancer awareness.

“Pink Out is an opportunity for Bryan High School to show community support for people who are suffering from breast cancer,” Student Council sponsor Cyndi Owens said. “It’s a great way to get students involved in the fight against breast cancer.”

The central goal of Pink Out is to essentially paint the stadium pink.

“Cheerleaders use pink pompoms, the drill team does a pink routine, the football players wear pink armbands and leg bands, and the band has pink bandannas, ” Owens said. “Every aspect of the football game is in dedication to Pink Out.”

For the crowd in the stands, Student Council will be selling Pink Out T-shirts.

“Student council has put together an awareness campaign selling pink out T-shirts along with sending out emails to the whole district, ” Student Council President John Fuller said. “We host Pink Out every year to raise money for the Susan G Komen Foundation, which is in turn used for breast cancer research.”

Although Pink Out serves as a way for the Vikings to donate to a global foundation, the event is also an important way to give back to people in our own community.

“We also sell pink wrist bands, and the money from that stays here for students and teachers that are fighting cancer,” Owens said. “We give gas cards, food cards, and whatever we can do to help and support them.”

Not many students tend to think about their future, or could even begin to imagine battling a disease, but the reality is that people in the community are suffering from cancer.

“Students believe they are invincible and that they’ll live forever,” Principal’s Assistant Maria Field said. “When someone is diagnosed with cancer it is not only them who battles the cancer, it’s those that are with them, surrounding them, and supporting them that are affected.”

Students are encouraged to stand out, and stand up for breast cancer and make it a priority to raise awareness.

“Spirit isn’t only for football and pep rallies spirit is within, and it’s how you give back, with the spirit of your heart, and kindness,” Field said. “ I especially love Pink Out because it gets the kids fired up; it makes them realize that there are causes bigger than themselves that they can give back to.”