Guard brings color to performances

Every Friday night during the fall the Guard adds color to the football field with the marching band, but their year doesn’t end with the last snap of the ball. While the Color Guard is mainly known as an addition to the Friday night football experience, their expertise extends past the lines of school spirit as they also participate in Winter Guard.

Sophomore Guard member Maria Roe says the preparation for football season is much different than Winter Guard.

“It is not a big football field, it is one area in a gym,” Roe said. “It’s one big floor and the crowd is up close and personal, so are the judges.”

Having the judges so close can be very intimidating and stressful, but that doesn’t ruin the experience for Roe.

“In marching season the judges are up in a press box,” Roe said. “In Winter Guard the judges are near your face and can see everything and it’s just more stressful yet it’s still fun.”

Guard director Marie Debellis says Bryan High is only one of the few Color Guards competing this year in the Winter Guard International World Championships in Dayton, Ohio in April.

“Registration is still going on right now, but normally about 150 different teams from all over the world compete in our Scholastic A division of this competition,” Debellis said. “It is a one of a kind event and our Guard will have the opportunity to compete with groups, and meet other performers, from all over the world.”

This year, the Color Guard has a unique show for competition.

“Our show this year is called ‘First Circle’,” Debellis said. “The original artist is Pat Matheny, but we will be performing a Brazilian arrangement of this song by Ruban Blades. It will be a very colorful, upbeat and fun production.”

To make sure their performance in Dayton is one of the best, the Guard practices almost everyday of the week for a total of eight hours.

“We do a lot of trying to get the group together so that we are all one,” guard member Valeria Munguia said. “If we are not all one we will stick out, you can see people messing up, so we have to be one with each other.”

The Color Guard will be traveling to Dayton, Ohio for competition April 12-13.