Mural Club brings color to school

Whether students hope to be the next Picasso or can only draw a stick figure, everyone can find a place in mural club.

Mural Club was first started at an elementary school by a teacher who began working with students to beautify the school. Art teacher Renee Richards wanted to mirror that program at the high school.

“We started Mural Club seven years ago in 2003,” Richards said. “We hope students are involved and, are inspired by art through our projects.”

The Mural Club doesn’t just focus on artwork that is framed and hung on the wall, they also contribute to different groups on campus and in the community.

“We do the life skills students graduation backdrops and we have done murals for The Children’s Museum that have been auctioned off,” Richards said. “The mural club allows students that have an interest or passion for art to produce art for various community projects and class projects”

Junior Mural Club vice president Mary Gibbs was drawn to the Mural Club because of how different it is from a traditional art class.

“I really like art, and Mural Club is different than my art class because there is more painting and it’s bigger and there is more creativity and freedom,” Gibbs said. “I like all of the friendships you develop. You meet a lot of people that you wouldn’t meet otherwise but you all have the common interest in art, which is one of my favorite things.”

Students interested in joining Mural Club can contact Renee Richards in room 4154.