Staple items hold wardrobe together – Tops

PART 1

Fashion is one of the easiest and exciting ways to express yourselves, whether you’re a teenager in high school or a middle-aged teacher with kids. What you decide to put on in the morning is part of how you are defined as a person.

Of course, no one should jump right into the world of fashion without a bit of advice. If you’re still finding your personal style and don’t know where to start, do not fret. It’s normal to feel overwhelmed with all the new and exciting trends going in and out of style so quickly. There are always a few closet essentials, though, that will never fail you.

There are a few tops that will help define and refine any style. Every girl should have a white button-down shirt. The classic white button down can be worn with practically anything and will never be looked down on by the ticking clock. You can tuck it into a pair of trousers or a skirt, or even unbutton it and wear it as a cardigan substitute.

The next important top to have in your closet is a white or black tank top. As simple as a tank top is, it can serve as the foundation for multiple outfits and is great for layering. Stripes and the polka dots also can be great additions to any wardrobe and jazz up any outfit without making things too complicated.

Outerwear is also extremely important to making a closet complete. The most important piece to own is a black cardigan which can instantly make an outfit look complete and put together. They are also great for dressing down an outfit and layering.

Without question, every girl needs a nice neutral colored coat in her closet. They are perfect for the winter time and keep you stylishly warm. Plus, with the exception of running shorts, what can’t a coat go with?

On the other side of the spectrum, a nice black blazer is also essential because of its versatility and how easily it can make even a band tee look tailored. It can also add masculinity to any outfit that might be too feminine.

A nice, warm chunky knit sweater is a must-have in the winter. With its comfortable, yet stylish loose fit, you can just throw it on with a pair of jeans, leggings, or even over a skirt or dress, and your ready to go.

Tomorrow, we’ll address the remaining essentials to complete your closet.