Lady Vikes softball swings into district with two shutouts

The varsity softball team opened district play with a 12-0 win over Belton in five innings.

Senior Hannah Parker improved to 4-0 on the season giving up two singles and striking out six.

In the first, junior Reagan Boenker started the scoring with a single to bring in senior Meagan Kraatz. Senior Kenna Buxbaum doubled to the right center gap and scored Boenker and junior Brittney Jones to end the first.

The Lady Vikings increased their lead by a run in the second when sophomore Erica Russell singled up the middle to score sophomore Courtney Meier from second base.

The top of the 4th would see the Lady Vikings break the game open as Boenker singled in Meier and Kraatz. Parker drew a bases loaded walk to score Russell and then Buxbaum hit a shot at the second baseman who then made an errant throw to the plate which helped score Boenker and Jones.

The Lady Vikings would complete the run rule with Boenker drilling a single down the left field line to score Kraatz and Russell. Sophomore Taylor Curtis ended the scoring with a bloop single as courtesy runner sophomore Anissa Hernandez came in for the 12th run.
______________________________________________________________
The varsity softball team traveled to Missouri City to participate in the 8th annual Sienna-MC tournament featuring some of the best teams in the state. The Lady Vikings made history by becoming the first Bryan team to go a perfect 6-0 at the prestigious tournament.

On Thursday, the Lady Vikings began the day by holding off Texas City 3-2. Sophomore Rebecca Peirce picked up her 3rd win of the season.

Senior Meagan Kraatz(1-2, run, RBI) and sophomore Taylor Curtis(1-2, run) led the offense. The game winning play came when Kraatz squeeze bunted to bringing in Curtis.

During the second game, the Lady Vikings take on defending 4A champion Santa Fe. After allowing 3 runs in the bottom of first, junior Brittney Jones finished the game to earn her 3rd win of the season.

Junior Reagan Boenker hit her second home run of the season in the 4th.

Down 3-2, with 2 outs and 2 strikes in the top of the 7th, Kraatz singled to left field to score senior Hannah Parker and sophomore Courtney Meier giving the Lady Vikings a 4-3 lead. Jones retired the side to help the girls finish off the comeback.

On Friday, the ladies faced #12 Deer Park and won 2-1.

Parker improved her record to 5-0. as the game winner comes on a 1st and 3rd double steal with Sophomore Erica Rusell scoring as Junior Morgan Isbell draws the throw.

In the second of three comebacks, Parker picked up her second victory of the day in relief of sophomore Rebecca Peirce. Jones walked and Kraatz tripled to score Jones and tie the game. After a pair of walks to load the bases with one out, Kraatz caught the Angleton Battery sleeping and stole home for a 5-4 win.

In game 1 of day 3, the Lady Vikings beat Katy Seven Lakes 4-1. Jones improved to 4-1 on the season and helped herself at the plate going 2-3, with one RBI.

Comeback three of the weekend came in the final game of the tournament. Katy Taylor took a 2-0 lead in the top of the 1st and with the Lady Vikes down 2-1 in the bottom of the 5th, junior Taylor Canales tripled to start the inning. Kraatz singled to score Canales to tie the game at two. With Kraatz at 3rd, Jones singled her in for the lead. Junior Reagan Boenker and sophomore Madison Goolsby combined on a double steal as Boenker increases the lead to 4-2. Parker picked up her second relief victory of the weekend to improve her record to 7-0.
The varsity softball team returned home Monday to defeated Killeen Ellison 1-0 in district play. Junior

Brittney Jones improved to 5-1 on the year as she struck out 6on her way to the complete a shutout.

The Viking’s lone run came in the bottom of the 1st. With one out, sophomore Erica Russell singled down the left field line and then stole second and scored on a single to center field by junior Reagan Boenker.

The Lady Vikings are 15-2 and 2-0 on district. They will host Copperas Cove on Friday at 7 pm.