Wrong kind of privacy

When you get a friend request on Facebook, you normally think that person is your friend, however, when your parents add you as a friend one would tend to feel as though their parents are trying to play a role that isn’t their place.

Facebook has become one of the world’s most popular websites with an average of 700,000 people around the globe joining each day. As people join the Facebook family, and begin to add friends, post statuses, and upload pictures, they stop realizing the amount of personal information they expose to the world.

Teens are afraid of their limited privacy and people’s knowledge about their personal life, but it’s not strangers they fear; its, their parents.

Students focus on their parents adding them as a Facebook friend, when really they should think a little deeper. Not having your parents as a friend on Facebook gives a false sense of security because parents can’t view what you’re posting. Adolescents frequently don’t realize that anyone could simply right click and copy any posts on Facebook. So it really doesn’t matter whether your parents are your Facebook friend or not, you should always be mindful of what you put out there.

If you are worried about your parents seeing what you post on Facebook, it probably shouldn’t be posted for all to see on Facebook in the first place. Since most people are with their parents, for most of their life, posting something that’s too personal for even your parents to know is not the smartest thing to do.

It’s understandable that there are some parts of your life that need to be kept private from even your parents, however, parents have the right to know what’s going on in their child’s life. Even though you might not think so now, and don’t see the value in having parents who check up on you, just wait until you have your own kids and you’ll see that parents just want to protect you from the world and yourself when necessary.