The World according to Abel: Aggiecon

Aggiecon is a convention where you can find a Jedi to your left and a hobbit to your right. Where all the nightmares of the apocalypse come to life and geeks run free.

Completing its 43rd year, Aggiecon is the largest student-run sci-fi convention in the world. The guests of honor come from a variety of media and genres, from fantasy to sci-fi, humor to gaming, literature, to comics, and even music. There is a place at the Con for everyone, whether you’re into anime or Lord of the Rings – you are in good company.

Aggiecon is a three day event where participants can go to panels to hear people speak on many subjects including steampunk, guns, zombies, and even how to date a nerd.

When I arrived on Saturday I got my pass and my eyes were hit with the sights of so many amazing and beautiful people! I saw a girl dressed as Naruto and turned around and saw Stein from Soul Eater.

As I walked through the dealers room I saw so much merchandise I wanted including swords, chain-mail, comics and T-shirts. I could live in that room, forever it – was so epic!

This was my third year to go to the Con, so I was excited to see what new guests and activities they had in store. As I walked through the Con my heart started to skip beats with excitement. I wanted to go into the game room to play some hardcore Dungeons and Dragons, but I didn’t have the nerve. They were all at least my father’s age and here I was a 19 year old thinking I could play with the big boys. No way was I going to go get my butt handed to me.

Throughout the day, the one thing I was most excited for was the Rocky Horror Picture Show. Now for those who are deprived of this cult classic, Rocky Horror is a movie where the two main characters, Brad and Janet, get stuck with a flat tire at a scary mansion and are then forced to seek refuge inside where they meet an insane transgender scientist that has created a man. Long story short, a lot goes on that leads to the end where everybody is either dead or an alien. Every year a group of students from A&M put on a show that goes along with the movie. Getting to be in a room with other crazy geeks like me yelling and screaming our heads off for the eccentric show was the highlight of the night for me!

Aggiecon is just a great place to be, and there is so much to do there for everyone. Well not for everyone, but for my fellow bookworms, nerds, geeks, dorks, and dweebs, this is our home.
For those of you who think this might be a fun experience, Aggiecon takes place annually at the MSC in March. Come forget all your worries at Aggiecon.