Wrestling team members advance to regional meet

The wrestling team advanced 11 athletes to the regional meet to be held at the Blossom Athletic Complex in San Antonio on Fri. and Sat.

Four Vikings won their divisions: Rafael Aguilar (126 pounds), Nathan Jimenez (145), Rafael Turrubiartes (195) and Francisco Vasquez (220). Thomas Riojas (120) and Cameron McCann (132) were runners-up for the Bryan boys. Jackson Ross (182) placed third, while Alex Cazares (138), Andre Currier (170) and Adriel Hernandez (285) each finished fourth. Aaron Salinas (106) and Justice Munson (160) placed fifth.

Rhonda Johnson was the lone girl to wrestle for the Viking and placed second in the 110-pound class to advance.

The top four from each class advance to regionals from their district. Fifth-place wrestlers can challenge fourth-place wrestlers to a wrestle-back outside of the meet for the qualifying spot if the two did not face each other.

Munson, who was the fifth-place challenger in the 160-pound class, won, allowing him to claim an automatic spot in regionals. Salinas (106) will be an alternate.