Students earn All-State Choir honors

On Saturday, January 11, seniors Lindsey Morehead and James Mosqueda earned positions in the 2014 Texas All-State Mixed Choir.

Lindsey placed 4th chair in the Soprano 1 section.

James placed 2nd chair in the Bass 2 section.

These students will represent Bryan High School at the Texas Music Educators (TMEA) State Convention February 12-16 in San Antonio. This is the third consecutive year that the Bryan High Choir has placed student in this prestigious group.

Read below for more information about this honor.

TMEA sponsors the Texas All-State audition process to promote students’ dedication to their musical knowledge and skill and to encourage TMEA member directors to support their students in this development.

All-State is the highest honor a Texas music student can receive. Over 1,500 students are selected through a process that begins with over 55,000 students from around the state vying for this honor to perform in one of 13 ensembles (bands, orchestras, and choirs). This competitive process begins throughout the state in auditions hosted by 28 TMEA Regions. Individual musicians perform selected music for a panel of judges who rank each instrument or voice part. From this ranking, a select group of musicians advances from their Region to compete against musicians from other Regions in seven TMEA Area competitions. The highest-ranking musicians judged at the TMEA Area competitions qualify to perform in a TMEA All-State music group. These All-State students participate in three days of rehearsals directed by nationally recognized conductors during the annual state TMEA Clinic/Convention. Their performances before thousands of attendees bring this extraordinary event to a close.