Blinn, Bryan ISD partnership makes training more accessible to Bryan families

Blinn Workforce Education opens location on Bryan High School’s Blue campus
Press Release
(The Norseman staff is currently working on an article about this partnership)

A new partnership between Blinn College and Bryan ISD is bringing Blinn’s workforce training to Bryan High School’s Blue campus.

The agreement, approved Monday by the Bryan ISD Board of Trustees, will allow Blinn to offer phlebotomy and pharmacy technician courses taught by the College’s Division of Workforce Education instructors to high school students. Beginning in January 2015, Blinn will begin teaching additional professional and workforce training courses at the location after 5 p.m.

“The agreement is another example of the close partnership between Blinn and Bryan ISD, making Blinn Workforce Education courses more accessible to Bryan ISD students and their families,” said Megan Costanza, dean of Workforce Education. “With House Bill 5 encouraging strong partnerships between high schools and higher education institutions, this agreement represents an outstanding step in our plan for workforce education in the Brazos Valley.”

Per the agreement, Bryan ISD will pay Blinn instructors to teach its students, while Blinn would provide the consumables, equipment and instructors.

“In this day and time, collaborative partnerships are a must, and colleges and school districts cannot work in isolation,” said Dr. Thomas Wallis, Bryan ISD superintendent. “This partnership is a win-win for both Blinn College and Bryan ISD.”

Blinn’s Division of Workforce Education improves the local economy by helping job-seekers obtain the skills and credentials they need to succeed in the workplace, and by partnering with local businesses to offer training opportunities for incumbent and new employees. For more information on Blinn’s Workforce Education opportunities, including class schedules and registration information, visit www.blinn.edu/workforce.

About Blinn College

Founded in 1883, Blinn is a comprehensive community college committed to educational excellence and to individual and community enhancement. With an enrollment of 18,413 students, Blinn ranks among the nation’s leaders in transferring students to leading four-year universities and has received national recognition for its affordable educational excellence.

As part of its commitment to student success, Blinn is implementing a Quality Enhancement Plan titled “Destination Success: First-Year Focus,” which utilizes learning communities to support first-year college students.

For enrollment information and to learn about financial aid opportunities, visit: www.blinn.edu.