Viking Wall of Honor award established for teacher recognition

The Viking Wall of Honor will be established to recognize current or retired faculty and staff for their outstanding service at Bryan High School, and their positive and lasting impact on students and other faculty and staff.

The original idea was presented at the Campus Performance and Improvement Committee (CPIC) meeting and a sub-committee was formed.

“I would hope that this award will be a lasting tradition where we honor those who have made Bryan High School the special campus it is,” principal Lane Buban said. “Furthermore, I would hope that the award would be a way to bring together past employees with the current staff.”

The committee recognized that many times teachers work goes unnoticed and they wanted to bring emphasis to all their hard work and sacrifices.

“Many of the staff have made decisions to be educators because of the teachers and staff they had,” Buban said. “Beyond that, many of these people have come back to Bryan High School to teach and to give back. This is a special place to work and many people do not know how special it is. It’s like an old Aggie saying: ‘From the outside looking in you can’t understand it, and from the inside looking out, you can’t explain it’.”

The vision for this award is to establish a tradition honoring those who have contributed to the success of students at Bryan High beyond recognition of the Teacher of the Year award. The first round of inductees will be recognized at the Homecoming game in the fall of 2015.

“It builds a sense of school pride as well as an opportunity for us to honor individuals that have given so much to our campus and students,” Buban said. “It is our hope that this will become a long lasting tradition along with the other traditions that we have at Bryan High School.”

The committee will look at inducting 3-4 members this year and 1-2 people in subsequent years. The deadline for submitting nominations is June 1.