Scholarship nights brings community together

BISD held its 43rd annual Scholarship Night in early May where 131 students received 184 scholarships totaling over $219,000.

This year’s ceremony was especially notable since it was the first in which all four high schools in the district were represented.

“It is important to have the kind of community support we have because with the school and community working together it helps prepare for a more promising future for the families who live, work and serve in our community,” GO Center coordinator Tammy Broussard.

Student recipients also see the value in community support.

“Living in a community that is so generous has so many more benefits than just receiving scholarship monies,” senior Martha Vilas said. “By receiving scholarship funds, I am not only able to afford a college education, but carry on the legacy of someone who finds value in higher education and post-graduate success of students in this community.”

Students giving back to the community by becoming involved helps make students unique and gives them prestige that scholarship committees look for when selecting award recipients.

“There are many factors when organizations are looking for scholarship candidate,” Broussard said. “Every organization has their own specific criteria for their particular scholarship. While GPA/Rank may be important factor, leadership roles, being goal oriented and being community service minded are all very important.”

The scholarship awards are a way for the community to show their appreciation for all the hard work students have put in over the years and support them in the years to come as they continue their education.

“Through the acceptance of the scholarship funds I have recieved, I see myself as an ambassador of this district and seek to represent the values it has instilled in me over the years,” Vilas said. “As I go on to college, I represent not only BHS but Bryan ISD, a district with a tradition of academic excellence and professionalism.”