Band makes history, advances to state

The marching band competed in the 5A Area marching contest in Galena Park on October 28 where they advanced to the state contest held on Wednesday, November 8 at the Alamodome in San Antonio.

This marked the first time in Bryan High history that they advanced to state. Emotions ran high immediately after finding out that the band advanced.

“The moment was surreal,” senior drummer Ronald Busby said. “As a senior, we have put a lot of hours and work into the shows over the years and ending my high school career with the best show in school history was all I could’ve hoped for.”

The momentum continued into the preparation for state with a prop repair night and hours of practice to polish the overall performance.

“The journey that we’ve been on this year is more important than the destination of state,” band director Jason Noyes said. “From seeing where we were at the start of the year to what we were able to do at the end of the year is pretty incredible. It’s nice to win awards and have the state recognition, but I ultimately look at the progression and journey.”

The band’s journey started in August at summer band, and evolved from there. The band members put in the needed work and time to become the state qualifying band they proved to be.

“For me personally, it is a lot of pride and excitement,” senior drum major Christine McCall said. “We worked really hard and we earned our place at state. I’m so proud of how we have grown this year. I watched people who at the beginning of the year could barely march in time or play their instrument grow into a confident marcher.”

For the band members and directors it is not about the end destination, but the journey it takes to get there. The memories made, lessons learned, skills improved and time sacrifice make a lasting impact on a program and are why the students and adults do what they do.

“I’m most proud of the level of dedication for the students. There is a lot of sacrifices that have to be made to make it to the end of the season,” Noyes said. “To push everyday, day in and day out takes a lot of sacrifice.”