Bases loaded: Viking baseball family creates legacy of support, love of game

Legacy. Generations. Vikings. Family. With nineteen members in the Guest/Kubichek family, blue and silver runs deep. As a pitcher on the Viking baseball team, senior Kolby Kubichek controls the flow of the game from the mound as his teammates look to him for leadership and he finds support from the other eight players on the field. Within his family unit, Kolby experiences many of the same qualities found on the field as each member of his family supports him and cheers him on helping him to the next step in his journey as a baseball player.

As a Viking, Kolby has followed in his family’s footsteps and helped create a legacy through baseball at Bryan High.

“Having Kolby play at my Alma Mater is very special to me. Watching him run on the field wearing the same Viking uniform as I did twenty plus years ago brings back a lot of good memories,” Kolby’s dad Jeff Kubichek said. “Baseball means a lot to my family. We are at a ballpark for the better part of 5-6 days a week. Baseball has made us a very close family; it’s something everyone in our family loves and likes to talk about.”

Kolby’s grandfather also cherishes the time watching Kobly play in high school.

“Watching Kolby play for BHS is very special,” Kolby’s grandfather Gary Guest said. “As an alumni and former BHS baseball player, it makes me proud to see him wear the blue and silver uniform. For the last three years my son Casey (2003 BHS graduate), my son-in-law Jeff (1998 BHS graduate), and myself (1973 BHS graduate), played against Kolby in the alumni game, and that meant a lot.”

Kobly contributes his love of baseball to his family and the involvement the men in his life have had with the Viking program.

“My entire family has been involved in baseball all their lives, and I fell in love with it,” Kolby said. “I’m glad to be able to carry on the legacy of playing at Bryan High.”

Though maroon runs deep in Kolby’s family as the majority of them are Aggies, he knows his family is in full support of his decision to play at the University of Texas.

“My husband and I were Vikings and we were here when the school opened in 1971,” Kolby’s grandmother Susan Guest said. “All five of our children have gone here and now our grandson is graduating from here. So we have a lot of Viking Pride. My family is everything to me, and we’re very close. We support each other in all endeavors, and everybody will be there supporting Kolby when he starts his baseball career at UT.”

Kolby accepted a scholarship to play baseball at the University of Texas next year and believes it is the best fit for him.

“UT felt right in my heart,” Kolby said. “It felt like the place that I want to be.”

Kolby and his senior teammate Hunter Van Etten, have been playing together since they were 5 years old. Growing up and playing together throughout the summers has given them a way to bond, and have fun, and develop as ball players together.

“I think it’s awesome that Kolby is getting to go to UT,” Hunter said. “He worked really hard, and I don’t think there is a person who is more deserving of a scholarship. Kolby’s developed over the last couple of years, and his control has only gotten better.”

Kolby’s dad looks forward to watching his son continue to play baseball at one of the top universities in the country and believes both the school and his son will benefit from the relationship.

“When I first found out that Kolby was going to be a Longhorn I was beyond excited,” Jeff Kubichek said. “The University of Texas is one of the most storied programs in college baseball history.”

The Longhorns won’t just be getting a great baseball player in the fall, they will also adopt a family of Aggies who will proudly wear burnt orange to support one of their own.

“When Kolby committed to UT, I could not have been more proud,” Gary Guest said. “To see the smile and the happiness in his eyes was overwhelming. To see all of his hard work pay off was special. If Kolby is happy, I’m good.”