Senior golfer shows growth, composure as athlete

Though golf is frequently considered an individual sport, there are team components even when the team is small. Senior Ryan Wilson has shown leadership and strength of character throughout the season.

“With any high school golfer, there is always room for improvement, and there is stuff that Ryan can learn,” golf coach Timothy Pepper said. “I think he has embraced that. Even though he plays at a high level, he knows that there is always more to learn.”

Golf is a game of strategy and takes lots of concentration, but it can also be a casual experience.

“I like that golf is an individual sport,” Ryan said. “It’s relaxing, so I can go at my own pace and enjoy the sport.”

Golf is a sport that anyone can continue to play for leisure after high school and Ryan plans to take advantage of that after his time at Bryan High ends.

“I plan to play for a club team in college,” Ryan said. “Golf has taught me to take things one swing at a time.”

Teammate senior Dylan Hall agrees that golf has taught him meaningful life lessons.

“I’ve learned a lot of patience playing golf,” Dylan said. “I’ve also learned to never get angry at the little things and just keep moving forward.”

Golf requires a lot of practice and endurance, and Pepper has seen Ryan mature as an athlete over the last few years.

“I’ve seen Ryan grow from a beginner, someone who followed just to see what was going on, to be a young man who now leads the golf team,” Pepper said. “He also helps out with other, younger golfers and tries to get them to be the best that they can be. He has excelled at being a stand-up young man and is always very polite to other coaches.”

Golf provides many challenges that push golfers to adapt and learn through adversity.

“The most difficult part about golf for me is being consistent and shooting well each day on the course,” Ryan said. “It’s important to work with a coach so they can help you improve your game.”

As an athlete, Ryan excels, but beyond that, Pepper sees him succeeding in anything he does.

“Ryan has a great head on his shoulders and is going to go far in life just by his sheer determination,” Pepper said. “He looks for something and does to the best of his ability.”