Identity crisis: Movie connects to viewers through moving musical number

Everyone has a favorite song. Whether it be rock, classical, or pop, when you ask someone to name their favorite song, they can name at least one. 

If you ask anyone they will probably also tell you that there is no such thing as a wrong opinion. But they are wrong.

Just because your favorite song is “Bohemian Rhapsody,” that doesn’t make it right. The only song that is allowed to be called someone’s favorite song is “Man or a Muppet.”

The song came out in 2011 and is sung by the Muppet, Walter, and Jason Segel who plays Gary. Since its release as a part of The Muppets soundtrack, it won the Academy Award for Best Original song at the 84th Academy Awards and the Sierra Award for Best Song. It was also nominated for Best Song Written for Visual Media at the 55th Grammy Awards and Best Song at the 17th Critics Choice award. 

With such achievements, you wonder “why is this not everyone’s favorite song?”

And I think it is because people hate perfection.

The song is a beautiful portrayal of the identity crisis of a man who thinks he’s a muppet and a muppet who thinks he’s a man. The amazing beauty of this song is often lost on the unsuspecting fool who doesn’t realize the artistry that is “Man or a Muppet”. 

I am kind of joking but kind of not. I do really love this song and it’s catchy. Honestly, I can’t remember if I have even watched The Muppets, but it’s still a pretty good song.

In comparison to other movie songs, I would give it a solid 9/10. The only song that could maybe beat it is “Un Poco Loco” from Coco, but that song just slaps anyways and in any language. 

I think the weirdest thing about “Man or a Muppet” winning so many awards is just that it’s a weird song. Like, it’s a muppet? That thinks he’s human? And a man? Who thinks he is a muppet? What? 

Also, the movie is supposed to be about Kermit the Frog trying to find a guest host for his show, but the man or muppet thing is just this weird subplot that manages to take over the film and most of the soundtrack. 

The song dominates the soundtrack of my life. “Man or a Muppet” starts my day off each morning and helps me face the sadness that is school. For example, I took my Spanish Oral today and instead of listening to something to help me, I listened to “Man or a Muppet” because it gives me strength in the face of adversity. 

Hombre o Muppet…because even in Spanish…it still slaps.