Marvel has Vision of the future of the MCU

Spoilers for everything pre WandaVision but no spoilers for the actual show.

If you’ve ever picked up an issue of the Norseman, you may have noticed my never ending ensemble of Marvel themed articles. From movie reviews to all out praise, I have covered nearly every Marvel movie to air over the past two and a half years. But this is something different, not a movie, but a new door into the Marvel universe.

The first two episodes of WandaVision aired in mid January with a runtime of about 30 minutes each. Since then, every Friday came with a new episode until the finale on Friday, March 5. This post Endgame story begins with a somewhat random scene in a 1950’s sitcom to be specific. Even from the beginning of this episode, fans see something, or someone, they were not expecting to see in this universe again. As the title implies, Wanda AND Vision appear throughout the series, despite his devastating death in Avengers: Infinity War

Each episode transitions into a new decade, moving from the 1950’s, 60’s, and eventually all the way to the 2020’s. Some episodes are even based on other shows like The Office episode, a personal favorite. Though these abrupt transitions don’t make much sense at first, it all comes together in the finale.

With Spider-Man: Far From Home focusing mainly on Peter Parker’s experience after everyone came back, many other characters were left out of the spotlight, such as Wanda Maximoff. With her parents dying before her entrance into the MCU, her twin brother Pietro dying during the fight with Ultron, and now Vision’s death, Wanda is left almost completely alone. This sense of loneliness and loss fuels Wanda’s spark that will lead into the first episodes of WandaVision.

The series follows Wanda through her denial of this inevitable outcome that her losses have caused, forcing her into an alternative reality. The audience follows her journey through her grief and eventually acceptance of this loss. 

Without giving too much detail about the season’s ending, it is important to explain where the characters were left. WandaVision’s cliffhanger leaves several loose ends regarding the whereabouts of several main characters. However, MCU producers and directors have confirmed that Wanda will be seen again in the Doctor Strange sequel, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. 

Twenty twenty one is jam-packed with new MCU content, from Black Widow in May to several other TV shows such as The Falcon and the Winter Soldier and Loki. With these release dates quickly approaching, my advice is to grab some popcorn, sit down, and start watching WandaVision!