Twitter dominates social media

Can you remember rushing home everyday after a long day in middle school to check if someone commented on your newest picture on your MySpace page? Or, Christmas morning your freshmen year, when getting your very first iPhone, you bolt to find 3G service so you can download the Facebook app? It may seem like every year there is just another social networking site trying to consume all of our lives, but I feel like Twitter will remain popular for a long time.

One thing that I find entertaining about Twitter is how it asks you  “What is on your mind?”. You literally can put whatever is on your mind. And when I say literally, I mean literally. On Facebook, when you’re posting a status you feel like it should be meaningful and not annoying to the rest of your friends. On Twitter, I could tweet “Squirrel” and not give a care in the world to what anyone thinks. You know why? On Twitter people can’t comment or like any of your tweets so you feel like you’re just throwing stuff out in the free world.

Another thing I find fun about Twitter is the frequency at which people can post each day. On Facebook and the ancient Myspace, we feel for the sake of anyone who is our friends, that we have a limited amount of times we can post or they will click the unfriend button. On Twitter, it is the complete and total opposite. In all honesty, you will probably gain followers on Twitter posting a ridiculously high amount (50-60 times per day) rather than by being a boring ‘ole tweeter who posts in microscopic amounts. Most of the time, a popular tweeter is a happy tweeter.

The most fantastic thing about Twitter though is how personal it is. Though there is always that one person that you follow who takes their tweets a little over the edge, but other than that, it really shows what people you may not know very well think about and how they live their lives. This feature is even more interesting with famous people.  Even though, for the most part, famous people do not follow you back (but when they do it’s extremely exciting), you can still track what they do on a daily basis. For Facebook, most celebrities use it as a source to promote their talents, but on Twitter you can see them get a little more personal.

So for now, Twitter is currently dominating all of the social networking sites out there.  I will be staying tuned to what is coming out next!