Teacher steps out of the classroom, gets involved in student life

While some subjects are more theoretical, others are designed for specific professions. Graphic Design teacher Ted Vaughan teaches one of these courses.

Vaughan has been teaching architectural design and engineering design at Bryan High for 19 years.

“I enjoy the daily interaction with my students,” Vaughan said. “It keeps me feeling younger than I actually am.”

Teaching for Bryan High is a big part of Vaughan’s life, and he is actively involved in extracurricular activities at the school.

“I’m involved with a lot,” Vaughan said. “I’m the Key Club sponsor and in the past I’ve been the Blue Crew sponsor and the Sophomore and Junior Class Sponsor, and I’m a big fan of Viking sports. I’ve only missed 3 football games in the last 19 years. I also go to as many basketball games and girl’s softball games as I can.”

Other teachers agree that Vaughan brings fun to the workplace.

“I love Mr. Vaughan in so many ways,” career tech teacher Nina Wright said. “Mr. Vaughan, first of all, is fun. Second of all, Mr. Vaughan is a good friend. He always cares about his friends and takes care of them in many ways that not everybody sees.”

According to Wright, Vaughan does a good job at managing a chaotic classroom.

“I don’t know if I could handle as many kids as he does,” Wright said. “They’re on the computer, all at different levels, all working on projects, so they’re not all at the same place at the same time. He keeps his head in all that confusion. It’s controlled chaos.”

Vaughn also supports his students in the classroom to help ensure their success.

“He teaches us how to help ourselves,” freshman Jackson Ross said. “He’s also really hands on, and is good at explaining things. I’ve learned a lot about design from him.”

His classroom may be hectic at times, but Vaughan continues to do a good job managing it all, and teaching his students skills they will continue use throughout life.

“I feel like I can be more confident in helping myself; Mr. Vaughan has helped with that,” Ross said.

For Vaughan, it all goes back to the students, what they get from his class, and how they put it to use.

“I want them to feel satisfaction when they do a really good job on design,” Vaughan said. “I also want them to learn how to teach themselves because that will be a really important value for later in life.”