A Message from the Principal…

Happy New Year!
We have completed the first semester of the 2011-2012 school year! As we begin our second semester we must continue to share with you what a rewarding experience this year has been! We have accomplished many things here at BRYAN HIGH SCHOOL this year! Our BHS students are setting goals to focus on their academic achievement. We have BRILLIANT students who seek to accomplish the goal of graduating on time. Our students realize they must have met the goals of 90% attendance, passing their Common Unit Assessments, and successfully completing all their classes and finish their school year on May 24, 2012. Please be sure that if your student is absent, they bring a note back to school within three school days requesting the absence be excused so their attendance does not keep them from finishing the school year early and being exempt from finals.

Basketball, Wrestling, and Soccer season are in full swing with students showing their athletic talents on the court, mat, and field. During the month of December, our students showed their musical talent in our band, orchestra, and choir holiday concerts. The choir presented the Feast of Carols, a great tradition here at BHS. Our students have raised money and food for the KBTX Food for Families Food Drive on December 7th and continue to ‘save trees’ by recycling paper weekly. Our BHS students continue to strive to show their very best through various activities. We have so many great clubs and organizations like Student Council, Yearbook, Key Club, NHS, Art, Interact, athletics, band, orchestra, choir, and UIL for students to be involved. Bowling has recently started. Please encourage your child to join a BHS Organization.

BHS has an expectation that ALL of our students will be successful! To make sure they are successful, they MUST be in class, they MUST learn the curriculum, and they MUST turn in their work. It is our job to structure the environment for them to be successful. To monitor the academic progress of students, we have been taking Common Unit Assessments to ensure students have mastered the curriculum. We are finding some of our students need more time to learn the curriculum. The teachers are providing opportunities before and after school for students to complete their work with tutoring support. To assist you with monitoring your student’s grades, you have access to the grades through the use of the secure site on the internet, http:// grades.bryanisd.org. Enclosed you will find your child’s report card from the first semester. Passing grades mean your child is earning course credit. Non-passing grades indicate courses your child will need to retake.

Enclosed you will find a very important document. This is the time of year we notify you of the TEA accountability rating for our campus. The document included scores from the spring 2010 TAKS in the form of a School Report Card. We are happy to report we are currently academically acceptable and have met adequate yearly progress (AYP). Further, we have achieved recognized and exemplary scores on TAKS in certain subgroups that are viewed separately as well as collectively.

Thank you, parents, for supporting the efforts of your children and their teachers! Please feel free to contact me for any questions, comments, or concerns anytime throughout the school year at (979)209-2441 or [email protected].

We wish you a very successful spring!!!
Diana Werner, Principal