Gangnam Style set to break one billion view mark

Music is considered a universal language, a force that is meant to bring people together in celebration of common achievements. Then there is the hit song Gangnam Style. Like it or not, most have heard the trademark beat of Korean Pop single PSY’s hit, and wondered what exactly the lyrics mean. So is this just a passing craze, or will Gangnam Style remain in popular culture for years to come?

Gangnam Style was released on July 15, 2012, and has since become one of the most recognizable songs of the year. The song has since been viewed over 829 million views on YouTube, and in only four months it has reached the number one spot in over 25 countries worldwide. What exactly is it about this song that makes it so widely popular? Perhaps it’s the catchy beat, or funny dance moves? Whatever the reason, “Oppa Gangnam Style” seems to remain a force to be reckoned with.

At first, the song sounds like a mix of techno with dubstep, topped off with a man speaking in a foreign language saying things that sound like ‘In the summer air, Korean I don’t know’, and ‘ Baby you know what I say’. Don’t feel left out if the words aren’t easily recognizable though, since there are only nine English words in the entire song, dominated by the phrase “Hey, sexy lady”, helping to facilitate the spread of the song into The United States, Great Britain, and other English speaking areas.

For some, the official music video for Gangnam Style is what sets the song apart from other songs. The video is a mockery of the lifestyle of the residents of the Gangnam district of Seoul, the Korean equivalent of Beverly Hills. The video features PSY in what is supposed to be the Gangnam district, partaking in less than high class activities. From sunbathing at a children’s playground to doing his famous ‘invisible horse’ dance in an actual horse stable, the video takes the viewer through what is meant to be a day in the life of someone who lives in the Gangnam district.

It is obvious that any song that can surpass Baby by Justin Bieber by taking the most views in YouTube history is not going anywhere soon. So love it or hate it, you might as well familiarize yourself with the catchy beat, crazy lyrics, and hilarious dance, because Gangnam Style won’t be going anywhere. Who knows, maybe all this success will prompt PSY to make a brand new song we can all dance along to. After all, music is supposed to bring people together, and isn’t that what Gangnam Style does?