Team player: Center fielder’s positive attitude dominates on diamond

The feeling of anticipation rises as players and fans watch as the neon ball zips through the night sky and sails toward the centerfield fence right before it lands soundly in senior Morgan Chavarria’s glove for the final out of the inning.

Without dominating the diamond through yells and orders, Morgan has led the softball team by example.

“Morgan’s quiet, but she has developed herself into being a leader on the field,” varsity softball coach Enrique Luna said. “She’s done a great job of pushing herself to become one of our better players.”

Morgan has enjoyed the years of playing softball in high school and having her coach back her up has helped make the experience even better.

“High school softball has been good,” Morgan said. “When I was younger during freshman and sophomore year I got a lot of chances to play, and it meant a lot to me that Luna believed in me from the start.”

By working hard to do well in softball, Morgan has found her spot on the team as a strong player and leader.

“Morgan’s been hitting the ball well this year,” Luna said. “Last year we asked her to play center field for us, and she has really worked hard to develop herself into that position and she’s striven to be a positive leader for our whole team.”

Though Morgan has worked hard to get to where she is now, she sees her last year on the team as a time to relax and enjoy the season.

“This season has been a lot of fun,” Morgan said. “With this being my senior year I’m just trying to have fun with everything and not miss any moments along the way.”

Morgan’s attitude towards softball pours out onto the field, creating a positive environment for her and her teammates.

“Morgan has a positive attitude,” Luna said. “She has a positive attitude day-in and day-out. She doesn’t have bad days because she’s always out there having a good time and I think the other girls feed off of that.”