How I met my favorite show: Character relationships create quality sitcom focused on friendship

“She has to spend her summers in North Carolina. She needs to be athletic but preferably play tennis. Once a day she has to take the challenge of crossword puzzles. She has to play some type of instrument and her favorite singer has to be Otis. Her favorite book has to be Love in the Time of Cholera. She has to love old classic movies but most importantly her favorite food has to be lasagna. And once we’re ready for kids the limit is two; a girl and a boy.”

For most people that list may seem ridiculous, but for How I Met Your Mother’s, Ted Mosby, each expectation has to be met in order to qualify a woman to be his wife. The show spends nine seasons with Ted telling his two children exactly how he met their mother.

Josh Radnor portrays the 27-year-old architect,Ted Mosby. Over the years, he became the epitome of a lovesick dreamer who thinks fairy tales do come true, despite the realities of the real world. He is smart, witty and has a drive to succeed, but can’t seem to find success in love. Out of all the characters, he’s the only one who knows what he wants in life. His struggles with relationships make me root for him and hate him at the same time as he pursues women who fill none of the characteristics he really wants in a wife.

Ted’s roommate Marshall Eriksen, played by Jason Segal, is the role model for the group of friends because of his ability to make smart decisions professionally and in his relationships. His commitment to his wife Lily, played by Alyson Hannigan, contrasts Ted’s inability to find true love and the actions of their womanizing friend, Barney Stinson.

Neil Patrick Harris plays Barney and does a great job creating a character viewers love to hate as he treats women as if it’s a game, loves everything about himself,and is obsessed with money. Barney constantly forces Ted into awkward and crazy situation because he attempts to make each moment “Legen-wait for it- dary”

The fifth member of the group, Robin Scherbatsky, played by Cobie Smulder, and Ted spends part of the series believing she is the woman of his dreams and is the attractive tomboy in the group. Even though Ted and Robin have a history, she always gives advice and wants the best for him. Robin is a journalist and her job is her main priority. She knows that she wants to pursue a journalistic career and travel the world, but she doesn’t like to plan anything, which contrasts with Ted’s vision of the world.

The entirety of the show follows these five friends on countless misadventures. From Halloween parties on the roof to road trips to Minnesota, the group creates memories and relationships that will last a lifetime. Throughout the show, Ted experiences many failed relationships and tough breakups, but his friends are always there for him the help pick up the pieces.

The writers of the show do a great job portraying their idea of love and how friendship should be, creating characters who interact in a genuine way with fights, arguments, and wagers, but ultimately always forgive and stand by each other.

Though some seasons weren’t necessary and started to drag, for the most part it kept me engaged to find out who Ted’s wife was. Honestly, I was disappointed in how the show ended. Even with the disappointing ending, the show is still one of my favorites and I recommend curling up with a blanket over Christmas and watching it on Netflix.