Get your head in the game: Senior leads team both on court, academically

The pristine shine of polished hardwood, crowds screaming “Defense!”, coaches yelling for players to watch the ball, and only 30 seconds left on the clock. For senior Wade McGregor, this is the atmosphere that pushes and inspires him to keep coming back to the game he loves to play.

“Basketball is, a very fun sport,” Wade said. “In a way I lose myself and I’m able to get out of the world for a second.”

Wade has been playing basketball since the first grade and has enjoyed every second of the sport. He plays various positions from center to small forward to anywhere his team and coach may need him in the game.

“This is Wade’s fourth year in the program,” basketball coach Chris Jones said “He is accustomed to the daily routine and understands what it takes to be apart of a team.”

Over the past three years, Wade grew accustomed to playing basketball with his older brother Ross but after his graduation last year, Wade has adapted to no longer seeing him at practice or on the court this year.

“I miss Ross,” Wade said “We always had a certain kind of chemistry on the court. It is definitely a loss, but being able to bond with different teammates is always something fun.”

As a senior, Wade has stepped up and taken a leadership role on his team.

“Wade has really matured as a young man” Jones said “That has also carried over onto the court.”

Wade’s effort on and off the court has been noticed by his teammates as he has continued to mature as a player.

“He’s grown tremendously,” teammate Zach Nutall said, “and become stronger, faster and an academic leader for the team.”

After graduation, Wade plans to attend Texas A&M University, but is unsure if he will continue with basketball later on in life.

“I don’t think it’s what’s best for me,” Wade said. “I’m looking to pursue a more academic career, so I need to focus on my education.”

Typically athletic players focus on honing their craft and spend less time on academics, but Wade challenges himself by taking advanced placement courses, participating in Bryan High’s choir, all the while balancing the demanding schedule of basketball.

“I’ve been up late doing a lot of homework sometimes,” Wade said, “but I have managed to make it fit.”

The effort Wade makes in his academics and everyday life doesn’t go unnoticed by just his teammates but his coaches as well.

“The other guys on the team view Wade as a true student-athlete, he is an incredible student.”