Wrestling team dominates as district champions

The wrestling teams competed in the UIL 10-5A district championships at Waller high school on Feb. 10.

The boys varsity dominated the field by winning 8 of the 14 weight classes and finishing ahead of the rest of the teams with 281 points. A&M Consolidated High School finished in 2nd with 205 points and Waller placed 3rd with 164.

For the boys, 13 of 14 wrestlers qualified for regionals next weekend and the 14th qualified as an alternate at the regional event.

The girls finished in 4th place as a team with only covering 5 or 10 weight classes. Of the 5 girls competing 4 qualified to wrestle at the regionals next week with the 5th being an alternate.

Head coach Michael Zito was name District 10-5A boys coach of the year and Zach Northern was named boys assistant coach of the year.

The Vikings will host the UIL Region III-5A Championships next Friday and Saturday.

Individual placers:
Boys Gold Medals: Andres Gonzlalez (106), Michael Flores (113), Larry Duron (120), Caden DeJesus (126), David Frazier (138), Kairo Turrubiartes (160), JaMarcus Thomas(170), Monyell Nutall (182).
Silver Medals: Dustine Korzynski (145) and Dequinnce Hill (195).
Bronze Medals: Benard Saenz(132) and Colten Murph (152).
4th place : Micah Samaripas (220)
5th Place : Kevin Duron(285)

Girls Gold Medals: Jenny Thomas (110) and Makia English (148)
Bronze Medal : Desirae Campos (138)
4th place: Natalie Elizondo(119)
5th Place: Breanna Prado (128)

For the Boys JV:
Gold medals: Graeme Weaver(106), Lane Blevins (126), Joseph Pfromm(152), Sergio Munoz (160)
Silver Medals: Jayden Ellzey (152)
4th Place: Joseph Griffen (126) and Cristian Urbano(285)