Grandparents taken for granted

Avoid missing out on relationships

Grandparents are some of the most interesting people but also tend to be the most difficult to talk to. My grandpa was born in good ol’ 1936 and didn’t even own a radio as a kid, so how am I supposed to explain things like TikTok? I mean, not that I would ever want to talk about TikTok, but I can’t help but have a vocabulary and life tainted with references to trends and electronics (or as my grandpa calls them, “doohickeys”).

I especially have a more difficult relationship with my grandparents since one set lives in Florida and the other lives in Austria. Traveling to see them is always exciting and people constantly point out how lucky I am to get to frequently go to these places, but I envy the people who have family nearby.

I am not saying that I don’t have a good relationship with my grandparents, I definitely do and I love them all very much, but it’s just…different. Other kids would go to grandma’s house on the weekend or would have their grandparents come for lunch on Grandparents’ Day in elementary school. All these little things were moments I missed out on.

When I go visit my grandparents it is a two-week flurry of catching up on each other’s whole year, not to mention the time being split between me and my other siblings. Sometimes I wish I could just drive over to their house for a quick snack instead of having to plan a vacation.

I think because I have this dilemma nothing breaks my heart more than seeing people neglect their grandparents. The truth is, they are old, and some kids don’t realize how short their time with them is. Sure, it might take some explaining for them to understand your jokes and A LOT of explaining for them to understand your phone, but in the end, you will hear some of the best stories.

Grandparents have not only lived long full lives, but they also grew up in a world completely alien from our own. Because of this, they are full of tried and true tips and tricks on how to handle all sorts of curveballs life may throw at you. Additionally, they raised your parents, and nothing is better than hearing about what mischief THEY were up to as kids.

This is your sign to go see your grandparents, or, if they are long-distance like mine, shoot them a phone call, because time with them may be limited, but the memories you make will last forever.