Rockin’ with respect

Concert etiquette integral to enjoyable experience

Attending a concert can create some of the happiest memories of a person’s life as they are able to see their favorite artists in person.

However, from the moment ticket sales commence with avid fans swarming to score tickets to the doors opening to the concert hall and fans flooding in, it can become chaotic.

Super fans sometimes line up in the streets hours, days, or even weeks before a concert just to get the perfect spot they have been dreaming of since the tour was announced.

There are also fans who push their way through the general attendance standing floor just to see the artist up close without regard for those who spent time waiting for their spot. These are just a few of the horrors concert-goers encounter. Understanding the etiquette of attending a concert is critically important.

When artists leave the concert, I’m sure many fans would love to see them on their way to the van that takes them to their next destination, but this can potentially be dangerous as a mob of fans can easily overwhelm the artists. Fans swarming them may be the last thing they want after tirelessly performing on stage for hours.

Fans should be respectful of the artist’s boundaries and not run towards them. I promise you can see them leave or arrive from a very safe distance just as well as you can see up close.

General admission (GA) tickets are is probably one of, if not the most, stressful concert experiences you could ever get yourself into for many reasons.

Fans are shoulder-to-shoulder, and there is barely any room to move without hitting someone else in the crowd. I especially hate GA since spots in the crowd are never guaranteed because people want to crowd hop.

When going to a concert in GA, don’t ask to get in front of someone or try to push your way through the crowd to reach your friends or just to get a better spot. It’s just selfish. Wherever you stand originally is where you should stay.

Additionally, standing still, not enjoying the concert, and only filming while someone in the back of the audience is having a good time is just really weird and shows the artist you aren’t having fun. Live in the moment and enjoy every second of the concert.

However, the selfish action of concert attendees that bothers me the most is when fans bring posters and other things in an effort to get noticed by the artists, but in turn it obstructs the view of other concert-goers.

Popularized by groups and fans in South Korea, some fans bring lightsticks of their artists or have LED lights on their phones that display a message.

Both of these things can be distracting to the other fans and detract from the overall experience. The best tip I have is just not to be obnoxious.

Next time you attend a concert, cheer a little, put your phone down, lower your sign, be respectful of other people’s feelings and boundaries, and have one of the best nights of your life.