Obsessive tendencies

Social media fuels fascination with sports league

Teenage girls can’t seem to help themselves. We frequently end up with a big fat crush on a ridiculous sports team. And yes, I mean a sports team, not a person who happens to play the sport. Now, I can’t speak for every single girl when it comes to who they have a crush on, but I can say that from my limited experience that we tend to gravitate towards a certain type.

Some prefer the basketball boys or baseball boys. I prefer hockey boys, which is weird since I live in Texas and that sport isn’t very popular here, but what can I say, I like the unknown (wink wink).

I’m not the only one with this obsession either. There are thousands of girls, just like me, who have fallen prey to the hockey edits of cute boys with dreamy ice skating skills. In our defense, it’s hard not to when they show off their impressive agility and balance racing across the ice while STILL manage to chunk a puck into a goal while fighting against the opposing team.

And don’t even get me started on their jerseys. I mean, let’s be honest, they fill out those uniforms wayyy better than any football player.
The rave for hockey men goes so deep that they don’t even have to have cheerleaders because their fan girls online and in the stands rival any other sports’ cheer squad.

And while it may be true that hockey boys are just frat guys stuffed into pads of armor, they also have a certain reputation in girl’s minds, mine included with their golden retriever appeal. Hockey players are known for their enthusiasm and goofy nature making girls instantly fawn over their playful personalities. Add that to witnessing them body slam their other opponents onto ice floors, and it starts to feel like the best of both worlds.

While it may seem categorically odd to have a preference towards a specific sport without even having a fascination with a specific person, it is whole-heartedly justified because I have a completely platonic obsession that is all in good fun.