Cracking the case

Protective phone accessory telling of teen traits

Kids start getting their first phones around eight years old and, by the time they are almost everyone has one. I got my first phone when I was eight and have had multiple distinct phone cases to match my “phases” growing up. Whether it was my girly phase or the one time I thought I was somewhat grunge, phone cases can tell you a lot about people.

When I got my first phone, it was the thickest, bulkiest phone case, mostly because my parents didn’t trust me not to break my phone. Then, I transitioned to a pink phone case with a pop socket because I thought it was so “cutsy.” I thought I was artsy and mysterious, so I got a blue phone case with rose gold and white paint splatters.

I’d like to think I could walk up to a person and be able to read them like a book. The truth is, I can’t, but a phone case you can give you a glimpse of what that person’s personality is like.

The most common phone cases are plain solid colors or clear. If I see someone with a plain solid color phone case, I would think that they don’t really care about being on their phone as much as others. Clear phone cases split people into two groups. If you have a clear phone case with pictures, stickers, or those little gum wrapper hearts, then I would say that you value your memories or that you like to openly express yourself as a person. If you have just a simple clear phone case, then either you’re an old person, you don’t care about your phone, or you’re just kind of boring.

Phone cases with wallets don’t bother me, but I feel like they’re kind of unsafe, because it’s easier for people to take your money or credit cards. If your phone case has a wallet on the back of it, I would think that you would usually forget your wallet, but you don’t go anywhere without your phone, so you just blend the two.

There are also phone cases that have a flap that covers the screen. I don’t necessarily hate those, they’re just kind of annoying. It’s weird that people get those phone cases when you could just look down or tap the screen of your phone without havin to move a flap. The only reason I would ever get that case is because I don’t want to get distracted with notifications and my screen turning on and off, though that might be a good idea for some students.

There is a whole world of different types of phone cases, and I do believe that everyone’s is unique in it’s own way. Phone cases are a great way for people to express themselves through countless options. And swapping them out is great to keep up with your changing moods and styles.