Man’s best friend

Dogs drawn to owners through personality alignment

Dogs are often considered man’s best friend, and for good reason. They offer unconditional love, loyalty, and companionship. However, have you ever wondered how dogs find their loving forever homes with their owners? 

It’s not always the humans who choose their dogs.

Dogs have the ability to select their owners based on a variety of factors, including personality, food preferences, activity level, and possibly a weird one, love language.

Dogs are incredibly smart and can sense when someone is the right match for them. They are attracted to individuals who are calm and confident around them, as opposed to those who are easily agitated or nervous. 

Another factor that influences a dog’s choice of owner is food preferences. Dogs have a keen sense of smell and taste, and they are often drawn to individuals who have a similar palette. Similarly, if someone enjoys sharing their food with their furry companion, the dog may be more inclined to stick around.

Dogs are energetic creatures that require plenty of exercise and stimulation. They tend to gravitate towards individuals who can provide them with plenty of physical activity such as long walks, runs, or hikes. 

Love language plays a significant role in a dog’s choice of owner. Dogs communicate their love and affection through physical touch through cuddling, petting, and licking. They are more likely to choose owners who are affectionate and nurturing, as they crave physical contact and attention. 

Dogs also respond well to positive reinforcement like treats and praise and are more likely to choose owners who use these methods to show their love and appreciation.

My puppy, Nugget, is not an exception to this theory. When a breeder first introduced her litter to us at our house, Nugget was immediately attracted to me because she is a very hyperactive baby, and I really like dogs who are playful and sweet.

While humans may think that they are the ones in control of the relationship, it’s often the dog who has the final say. So the next time you meet a dog, remember that they may be picking you out more than you may be choosing them.