Sisterhood solidifies bond between siblings

Up until I was eight years old, I was the only girl in my family. One older brother and one younger brother. Yes, I enjoyed having my brothers but I always longed for a sister. I always wanted to experience that sister dynamic that I saw both on TV and in real life. 

Of course, I had my mom to help me become a young woman, but I still had that void of wanting a sister. I wanted an older sister to help me navigate through girlhood and be my forever friend. Someone I could talk to about having crushes, someone to guide me through my awkward phases,  someone to paint the nails on my right hand, and someone to give me sisterly advice. Thankfully, one day my wish was granted and I got a baby sister.

My sister is eight. She’s a literal mini-me, but more unhinged. I love being a big sister, I give her all of the love and advice I wish I had from an older sister growing up. Makeovers, playing dress up, hearing her elementary gossip, nail painting, watching Barbie movies, and so much more. 

Being a “big sister” is so much more than a title. It can be exhausting and at times I feel like I’m a second mother, yet it’s rewarding seeing the daily impact on a younger sibling when I can positively mold them. My younger siblings motivate me to be my best and always present myself well in public and at home.

From cleaning up at home to running at a track meet, my siblings are always on the sideline cheering me on. I feel that it is my duty to show them that they are incredibly capable of doing anything if they really try.

The day my mom was in labor with my sister, I was literally doing cartwheels in my second-grade hallway when my dad picked me and my brother up from school early. I would FINALLY have someone to play dolls with (mind you, she was only a few minutes old.) 

Since she was too young to play dolls, eight-year-old me came to a compromise. She was going to be my doll. Every time my mom dressed her, I picked out the outfit. She was an over-glamorized newborn. But after all, she’s my sister, so what would you expect? 

As an older sister, I feel that it is my responsibility to help grow her confidence. I always remind her to affirm herself even when she’s doubtful.

The term “mini-me” is an understatement when it comes to my sister. She stole my face and sense of humor. Every word and phrase I use, she uses. Every perfume I use, she wants too. 

My friends? Her friends. Privacy? None of that. Going somewhere? She’s tagging along. And if she can’t, she’s going to Facetime or text me every minute and a half.

On my birthday, I went out to eat with my friends. My sister was so dramatically heartbroken that she couldn’t come with me. She tried to guilt trip me by making me sad birthday cards with tears on them…a little insane if you ask me. Once she saw that didn’t work out she made an extreme effort to continuously call. I love the effort. 

One thing that amazes me is how my sister thinks I’m the most beautiful, interesting, and smartest person in the world. A lot of the time I wish that I could see myself the way she sees me. 

She also helps me in many ways, she always manages to make me laugh and smile on my worst days. My little sister is my motivation and my whole heart.

Being an older sister has taught me a lot. I’m a role model to my siblings, and that’s one of the main reasons I make many of the choices that I do. 

Having someone look up to you and watch your every move can be daunting, but it can also be rewarding.