Learning to teach: class, club prepare future teachers

Ready Set Teach is a program at Bryan High that allows students with a goal of one day becoming a teacher to jump start that dream and help it become a reality.  Members of Ready Set Teach go on field trips to schools around the district to get a general overview of the teaching career.

“Ready Set Teach is a capstone course, meaning that it’s at the end of the education and training pathway,” teacher Nina Wright said.

The students that have made it to this point have expressed a real desire to teach.

“We do learn how to make a lesson plan and we learn how to use technology in the classroom,” Wright said.

Some students have always known they wanted to go into the teaching field.

“I’ve always wanted to be a teacher ever since I was little,” senior Perla Hernandez said.

Other students are just now discovering that they want to teach.

“Not always, but recently I’ve decided that’s what I want to do,” junior Jessica Salazar said.

Students get a range of experience through this class, but they spend a lot of time helping out at elementary schools.

“In the second semester, of the first year class, the students will actually get into the elementary schools and work with elementary students,” Wright said.

When students get this type of experience, it not only prepares them for the future, but it also gives them a satisfaction from helping others.

“Last year we did internships at Henderson Elementary. We read with the kids and that helped them a lot,” senior Twyneisha Jones said. “I thought it was great.”

Some members of Ready Set Tach are also members of the Texas Association of Future Educators, or T.A.F.E.  This organization is an extra-curricular club that gives students a chance to volunteer around the community, go to state conferences and meet with a mentor teacher once a week.

“T.A.F.E. and Ready Set Teach go hand in hand,” Wright said.

Both clubs do similar things like helping out at elementary schools, but in T.A.F.E., students volunteer at school carnivals and nursing homes.

“We have a great time and feel great helping other people,” T.A.F.E. member Reial Lawrence said.  “I get a thrill out of helping others.”

In addition to volunteering and helping at local functions, members have the chance to attend educational summer camps, tour college campuses and receive scholarships through regional and state competitions.

“I’m excited to be able to help students be successful for college and for their future career,” sponser Jacqueline Hofferth said.

By being a member of T.A.F.E. or Ready Set Teach, students are more prepared for college, and can explore the teaching profession.

“If they have a passion for education, then I want to help them in any way possible, to make sure that they do go to college and get their teaching certificate,” Wright said.

Joining T.A.F.E. or Ready Set Teach can be beneficial for students wanting to become a teacher and help others.  These two programs work together to prepare students for their futures in education.