Texas weather doesn’t wilt band, football players

Sweating every ounce of water out of your body standing in the hot sun, wondering when this heat will come to an end is a common sensation for students.

Since the beginning of this year Bryan has experienced over 50 days above 100 degrees. Most of us are avoiding the heat by staying indoors, but for football players and band members, staying indoors is hard to do.

The heat seems to not have an end in sight; from the small rain chances to the intense temperature, Bryan has not had a break. There isn’t a thing you can do to avoid the heat, but there are some things that you can do to lessen the heat’s impact.

The football coaches attempt to make enduring the heat easier by starting practice earlier than before.

“In the summer we try to beat the heat and start about 7:30 and go to about 10:00 a.m,” Coach Matthew Rice said.

Running drills and practicing plays in the hot Texas sun can take a toll on the player’s body. Hydrating and taking breaks is one of the most important things to do in the heat, but even this does not make players completely safe. If the heat exceeds a certain temperature, the football coaches take extra steps to keep the players safe.

“If it goes past a certain temperature then we will take off pads and other gear. Rice said “We give them a lot of breaks and always have plenty of water for them.”

The football players seem to handle the heat better than others, so far none of them have had heat related injuries.

“We are taking more breaks and drinking plenty of water,” senior football player Lance Graul said.

Also affected by the heat is the band which practices a total of eight hours each week during the school year. During the summer, two-a-days were introduced.

“[We practice from] 7:00 to 8:00 a.m. every morning, after school 4:30 to 6:00 on Mondays and Thursdays.” Band director Robert Towell said,” In the summer two a days were from 8:00 a.m to 11:30 a.m everyday, and 1:00 to 4:00 in the afternoon inside,” band director Robert Towell said.

As for the band members who have to practice on the parking lot after school, they are faced with even more heat due to the cement lot. There have been many members sitting out, because of the heat. The heat has an effect on everyone no matter what you do to try to avoid it.

“After the first day or two not many [were sitting out], maybe two or three,” Towell said.

Some people might think that the temperature can get too hot and cause a practice to be cancelled.

“Never,[it,s never been too hot to practice] we just take more water breaks,” Director Robert Towell said.

The drum majors’ jobs got a little more complicated this year, as they had to watch for signs of the heat affecting band members.

“[The heat] definitely created some obstacles for me and the band but we have been pushing through it really well,” drum major Denzel Brown said.

The Texas weather is hot, but the band students are facing the heat and not letting it affect their practice.

“They are pushing through it really well, they are handling the heat really well,” Brown said.