#Goals: Senior earns scholarship to continue playing in college

Training, leading, and determination are some qualities to make a great athlete. By watching her sister play and contributed by playing on her own team, senior Rebecca Adcock has attributed those qualities. Soccer as a physical sport, however it’s also a mental sport. Using the mind to know when to pass the ball, communicate with your teammates and what to do next.

“I like the active aspect of soccer,” Rebecca said. “But soccer is also as mental as it is physical because you have to use your mind and think what’s the best pass, what to do with the ball, where to go, and how to defend and drop the ball.”

Rebecca recently signed to play soccer for McNeese University in Louisiana which will continue to push her in the sport she loves.

“McNeese offered me a scholarship and I wanted to get out of Texas,” Rebecca said. “It’s not that far, but it’s still exciting because it’s somewhere new.”

Rebecca recognizes the opportunities she has been given and plans to make the most out of the next four years.

“I want to continue to play soccer,” Rebecca said. “Not playing doesn’t feel right and the fact that I get to play during college is lucky because not a lot of people get the chance to.”
Rebecca has consistently performed as a leader and pushed herself through her work ethic and natural skills.

“The level of play Rebecca wants to be at pushes everyone around her to get better,” girls soccer coach Chris Gibson said. “She’s a leader on and off the field and she’s almost never satisfied with where she’s at and where her teammates are at, so she’s always trying to lift them and herself up.”

As a leader, Rebecca gives sets an example for her teammates and other people in her life.

“She’s a leader through her how she plays on the field. She’s definitely the player who has the least mistakes,” senior Rowdie Bright said. “The way that she plays and the way that she always gives a one hundred percent effort on and off the field sets an example for everyone on the team.”

Rebecca’s work ethic has created a path to success for her and she has always pushed herself and others to do their best and to succeed.

“[Rebecca] knows where she wants to be, and she’s got to keep working and not settling for anything less,” Gibson said. “She’s always pushing herself and others on the team to do better.”
Despite Rebecca’s serious demeanor on the field, when she steps off she takes on a different persona.

“Some people think that Rebecca’s always really serious and quiet,” Rowdie said. “But she’s one of the funniest and most outgoing people I know. She’s hilarious and not a lot of people know that about her, aside from being a great teammate she’s a great friend.”

Rebecca’s attitude transfer to those around her and keeps everyone’s spirits up.

“Rebecca’s always fun to be around,” Gibson said. “She’s spontaneous, she’s always smiling, always in a good mood, and she’s a positive person.”