Soccer helps senior stay focused on goals

Most people dream of playing in big league sports. For many, it’s only a dream which transforms into watching what could have been from behind a screen. For one boy at Bryan High, that might not be the case. As a child senior Alejandro Gomez enjoyed playing soccer with his family. Alejandro has been solid since day one at Bryan High and has led the team since he started.

Alejandro has gone above and beyond for his sport. He’s realized it’s more than just the actions you put out it’s who you play and the attitude you share with your teammates while playing.

“Alejandro’s an unselfish player,” boys’ soccer coach Paul Ruiz said. “He plays for his team.”

For Alejandro, soccer plays a key role in his life and gives him a sense of direction and purpose.

“Soccer makes me forget about problems and have fun,” Alejandro said. “My parents and family motivate me to do my best.”

For many people, their sport becomes their obsession. When their teams don’t win, they become miserable and want nothing to do with the sport. However, the goal is to never give up and work toward whatyou need to achieve, and Alejandro has been doing just that.

“Alejandro’s been able to help some of the younger players understand the game,” Ruiz said. “He’s my coach on the field, which is a role he’s grown into.”

The team has been focused learning from each game, working to improve any mistake that was made on the field. As for actual playing skill, Alejandro isn’t lacking an ounce, according to his teammates.

“He’s a very skilled player,” Luiz said. “He can pretty much play any position he wants and excels at what he does.”

Even though Alejandro is originally a midfielder, he can use his talent  to sub in for missing players.

“He’s been on varsity for a while,” Ruiz said. “He’s a special player and possesses something that can’t be coached. He’s so talented with the ball which makes him stand out as a versatile player.”

Soccer has been a part of Alejandro’s life since he was young and some of those memories stay with him even now.

“We won our final game at Jane Long and were undefeated for 5 years,” Alejandro said. “A lot of people were counting on us, and I made the last goal. It felt really good.”

Not only does Alejandro have the leadership, but he also has something special to bring on the field, along with his passion and the will to achieve what he puts his mind to.

“I want to try and make it to the pros,” Alejandro said. “I’m willing to work to see it come true.”

His coach also sees a promising future in store for him if he continues to work hard and put forth  the effort to succeed.

“He’s got the skill to play at the next level,” Ruiz said. “It depends on what he wants to do next .”