Student attends HOBY World Conference, will return to state conference as mentor

Norseman Staff
Junior Ka’Melo Brooks attended the state HOBY conference and was selected to attend the World Conference later this year.

Junior Ka’Melo Brooks was selected as one of three students to attend the World Leadership Hugh O’Brien Youth (HOBY) from the state conference in Houston this summer.

“HOBY provides an environment with amazing people with different talents and leadership experiences from around the world,” Ka’Melo said. “It helps students not only improve as individuals, but as teammates and friends.”

HOBY has a history of cultivating personal growth in students as they leave the seminar with more knowledge and passion to make a positive impact in their communities as they mature into young adults.

“Ka’Melo just does all the right things,” football coach Matthew Rice said. “He does whatever we ask him to do, and he’s a good team player. He has matured as a player by working hard on his skills and in the weight room doing all the little things to become a better player.”

Ka’Melo and many students like him are advancing in their classes because of HOBY through grades and principles.

“Other students may slack off, but no matter who Ka’Melo is hanging out with, he always keeps a good work ethic and maintains professionalism,” culinary arts teacher Joshua Neubauer said. “I’m proud of him; I’m really proud of his awards and his accolades over the summer.”

HOBY’s goal is to bring students together from different backgrounds, cultures, and communities because they believe that all students have the potential to lead.

“While I was at HOBY, I met a lot of cool people,” Ka’Melo said. “I discovered a lot of ways to better
myself as a person and as a representative for my school. We participated in activities to learn together and did a few bonding activities as well.”

While the reasons for people wanting to attend HOBY may vary, one key factor is that they want to grow as leaders and mentors in their communities, or they want to know more about others’ leadership qualities and points of view.

“I wanted to attend HOBY because although I know that I am already a leader, also I want to learn from other people’s perspectives,” Ka’Melo said. “I also wanted to have the experience where I get to be with other like minded people.”

The state HOBY seminar invited Ka’Melo to return to the leadership conference this summer as a mentor because of his experience at the national conference.

“I’m excited to go back to the conference next year,” Ka’Melo said. “It was an honor to be selected out of all the participants in Houston, and for them to want me to come back and help other kids means a lot.”