Climbing the ladder of success

Weltens to continue with athletics, academics at Ivy League school

Only 3% of high school football players will get the chance to continue their sport at the Division 1 level. With so many football careers ending with senior year, athletes who achieve success after high school demonstrate true athleticism. From Bryan, Texas, to Rhode Island, Providence senior football standout Luke Weltens is pursuing academics and athletics at Brown University in the fall. 

Over the past few months, Luke has worked to narrow down his college choices to Brown, Harvard, and Columbia. Throughout his decision-making process, he continued to show interest in competing at an Ivy League school.

“I went to one of the main football camps for Ivy Leagues, and I got a lot of attention,” Luke said. “As soon as the offer from Brown came in, I got a couple more.”

Coaches have continued to watch Luke grow and develop as an athlete over the last four years. 

“Expectations for Luke, as he goes to Brown, are high,” football coach Matthew Rice said. “I think he has a lot of the tools and skills to be successful at the next level both on the football field and in the classroom.” 

Defensive coordinator Anthony Davis has seen Luke grow on and off the field because of his constant dedication to improve. 

“His work ethic off the field started to show when he was doing workouts on his own, going to camps, and putting himself out there,” Davis said. “He is really smart and committed to being better.” 

Luke looks forward to his transition to playing college football, and now that he has decided, he is ecstatic to take on a new role at Brown. 

“I’m more locked in now that I know where I’m going, so I don’t have to worry about recruitment anymore,” Luke said. “I can finally lock in and work on my craft. I’ve been trying to become a better leader because I need that confidence and leadership even though I’ll be a freshman.”

Luke has been a key player for the Vikings the past few seasons and is seen as a leader by fellow teammates. He has always been ahead of the play, making efficient decisions that are more manageable for the team. 

“Luke stays calm and composed under pressure,” teammate senior Tate Allen said. “He knows the plays, and he keeps everybody on the team in the backfield, so everybody knows their jobs. Luke always relays the calls and keeps everybody in the right position.”

Luke’s strength as an athlete is complemented by his strength in the classroom. 

“I had Luke when he was a freshman, and he was an absolute joy to have in class,” English teacher Cynthia Dominguez said. “He was always so respectful and such a hard worker.” He excelled in my class. Students like Luke will always have a special place in my heart.”

Though Luke would love to continue playing football after college, he recognizes that he must take advantage of Brown’s unique educational experience.

“If the opportunity comes, it would be dope to play in the NFL,” Luke said. “But ultimately, I’m looking for a business or a business finance degree. Eventually, I want to start my own business.”